Saturday, June 27, 2009

Amazing Day

Today was an amazing day. I knew that it was going to be awesome just because of what people had said in the past, but experiencing it myself was unforgettable. Driving into the rainforest brought such a sense of anticipation, because I could sense that we were leaving the way of life that I know further and further behind. There were plenty of houses along the way, sure, but still, these people lived such different lives. And the Embera village was so isolated, pure and untouched.
Seeing the way that the indigenous live is very impressive. They know what technology is available, and still they chose to keep their ways. The food, fried fish and plantains, served in a banana leaf, was tasty, but my favorite part of the meal was the fresh pineapple. Learning about the culture, the way they built their houses and wove baskets made me appreciate how hard they work. The dancing and music were beautiful, and by far my favorite part of my time in the village.
Apart from the village the best part of the day for me was the waterfall. I think just because it was such a singular experience – I’ve never done anything like it before and probably won’t have the opportunity again for a long time. It was so beautiful to hike through the rainforest; I just wish I had seen a monkey! And the waterfall was so gorgeous and the water was refreshing. I don’t think I’ll ever forget today.
Even though next week will be busy and lots of hard work, I’m looking forward to it. I’m interested in how the healthcare system works here; the thing that I’m most nervous about is the language, but I’m sure it will work out. I can’t believe we’ve only been here a few days, it feels like longer. Soon the work begins…

No comments:

Post a Comment