Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Clinical Experience So Far!

We are currently in Chitre which is known to be filled with low-economic status citizens. We went to police station today to do give some influenza immunizations to some police officers. There were plenty of injections to do which made me feel comfortable in giving shots. I enjoyed the experience and practicing Spanish. The nurses were great. They were very kind and informative! I learned so much from them because they were very specific. They gave my group souvenirs and bread that is popular in Chitre. They wanted us to experience the culture. Yesterday, I was able to do two pap smears which was exciting because nurses are not allowed to do them in the United States but nurses are allowed to do pap smears here in Panama. I was also able to give my first immunization shot to a baby yesterday. It was DPT. I learned that the Panamanian healthcare do not use wipe alcohol on the skin before giving the shot. They use water which they believe is better. There are a few more clinical days to go and I´m excited on the days ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment