Thursday, July 9, 2009

Chitr'e

Chitre held so many new experiences for me including doing immunizations on children. By working hands on with children in the Centre de Salud Clinc made me see that I have a desire to work with kids. Even though the children do cry due to the shots, they recover quickly and are easily pleased. I had such an amazing experience in Chitre that I wouldn't change for anything. It was amazing to work with not only the staff and patients, but also challenging to have a language barrier. It has been a humbling experience and an amazing time for all of us. It was amazing as a student to do a PAP smear on two adult women since you would have to be a nurse practitioner in the states to do such a thing. The nurses here are so well trained and have learned to work with their limited resources. I hope as nurses in the states we can be as resourceful and maybe take home some of the time management skills that we have learned. Its important for us to introduce this into our work habits when we are in the hospitals to make us more efficient nurses and our time well spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment