Monday, July 13, 2009

Panama Experience

The trip is over and although I am very happy to be home with my family, I miss being in Panama. This study abroad trip has been the most rewarding experience and I am truly thankful for being able to participate in the journey. Overall, I believe this trip was a true success even though there were many stumbling blocks along the way. I have come back to America with a greater appreciation for the profession I am becoming a part of and for the kind of healthcare that this country provides. Panama has really opened my eyes with regards to community nursing. I do not think that I truly understood how other countries could have such different styles of healthcare, but Panama proved to me that different is not necesarily worse. Panama's nurses amazed me because of how much responsibility and skills they must have. It was interesting to note that the nursing profession is well respected in Panama, just like in the U.S. Even though nurses do not make the same kind of salary as we do here, they are happy and completely satisfied with their profession. Panama's healthcare system truly amazed me because they make it work with limited resources. I am so greatful to have been able to experience Panama; it was an awesome journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment