Wednesday, July 22, 2009

A look back....






After having a week to settle in and get back to a "normal" way of life....I find myself constantly thinking about the most amazing three weeks of my life. I got to experience some things that I will never have the change to do again. I learned so much from this beautiful country and truly had the time of my life. After being so lucky to have experienced all that we did in Panama, I can't help but feel different after returning home. I will not take things for granted as much as I did before (like hot water, clean beds, AC, alcohol pads, gloves, sharps containers, PYXIS, private rooms...the list could go on and on!). I have learned from the Panamanian way of nursing. One that is not focused on the task, technology, or politics, but on the patient. The way nursing is supposed to be. Like the Dean of UP said "what we lack in technology, we make up for with our hearts". A nurse cannot be so impersonal or out of touch as many American nurses have become. She needs to be connected with her patients and truly care for their well being. I hope after this experience, I will be a be a better nurse. I am so happy that I was able to have this once-in-a-lifetime experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment