Friday, July 10, 2009

Pediatric

I was also very excited to do the Pediatric rotation. We got to go to the Children's Hospital and there I met 2 great nurses that we very helpful and informative. We were able to go to the P.I.C.U. and observe the unit. My favorite part was to see the newborns. Seeing them reinforced my passion for working in neonatal nursing. Although, for some, visiting the N.I.C.U. might have been too much to bear, for me it was not the case. I just think that it is amazing what the nursing practice can do to help save babies lives and get them to were they need to be to lead a healthy and improved quality of life. According to the nurses, the common major problem that is seen in the N.I.C.U. is prematurity, which did not surprise me. A problem that was mentioned to be common in pediatric child growth and development in the San Juan de Dios Clinic in Chitre last week was that the children take longer to walk than normal and they say it's because the family always carry the baby and don't give them much opportunity to be on the floor in order to learn how to walk. Another interesting thing, which also relates to maternity as well, is that here in Panama there is a law that women have to breastfeed for the first 6 months. I think that it is a great law because it is very important for babies to receive mothers milk in order to receive the vital nutrients that is the backbone in establishing a healthy strong immune system among many other important things. Overall, I noticed that here in Panama nurses are very big on educating their patients and they have a very intimate relationship with their patients that in the United States might even be considered crossing the line of a therapeutic nursing to patient relationship. Interestingly enough, it seems that because they do have such an intimate relationship with the patients, it seems to further strengthen the relationship and comfort between them allowing the nurse to be able to seamlessly talk about very personal, important and intimate details that are crutial to know in order to provide optimal care. That relationship also seemed to make it that much easier to educate them and really get through to them without seeming negatively authoratative. The experience I have had here in Panama was great. I am very fortunate to have been a part of such a great opportunity to learn and practive community nursing here. I will treasure these moments and take with me the knowledge, experience and friends I have made along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment