Friday, July 10, 2009

Maternity

The day we had maternity I have to admit I was extremely excited. I was very much looking forward to seeing the delivery of a baby. Considering I want to work with neonatal, mother/baby or labor and delivery I am sure my excitement does not come as a surprise. Although, I was not one of the fortunate ones to witness the miracle of life, it was still a very great experience. I was able to see the maternity unit and got to speak with one of the patients who was there to give birth to her second child. While I observed the unit I noticed how many of the women were in a lot of pain, again no suprise there. However, there was a woman that was not in any sign of pain and it was very interesting to know that she was of indigenious descent and that in their culture they do not convey pain. Surely enough, it was she who was the one that some of the students were able to see give birth. Again, they mentioned her lack of portrayal of pain. Even though I was disappointed to not have the opportunity to witness the delivery of a baby I was able to obeserve and still had a great experience and I am still looking forward to the moment I get to witness the miracle of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment