Saturday, July 11, 2009

Looking back at Panama

Wow, were to begin... when I first planned to come on this trip I couldn't have imagined how amazing it would be. Looking back now through my pictures I cant believe how much we all saw! Out of the gate things weren't looking so good when we stayed an unexpected night in Miami. But, getting through the rough spots with airlines, bugs, and ranchos were totally worth it and made our group strong. The ability to adjust to the elements of the trip was a great oppurtunity to practice patience and teamwork. Things I didn't realize I would work on during this trip but was a great aspect of it!! I am thankful for the other girls on the trip being with them made it easier to get through the rough spots on the trip and really fun to explore. The Chitre clinics and El Valle were definitely the highlights of the trip for me. The Chitre clinics were humble but they proved that anything can be done even if you have limited staff and resources. These small clinics saw hundreds of people and provided them with healthcare with a smile on there face, even with no air conditioning in some areas of the clinic. They were hard working and welcoming to all students. It really inspired me to always have a smile on my face and to try new thing, my confidence in my skills was greatly increased by their constant enthuiasm. I couldn't be more thankful for that part of the trip. I know it will always influence my nursing practice. El Valle was a great retreat after a week on long days in Chitre. The valley town in the clouds let us all relax. Day one was amazing with a walk to the spring and a relaxing mud mask and dip in the warm water. Day two was high energy as we hiked and ziplined through the mountains and over a waterfall! I of course wish for more time there but am so happy for the time we did get. Leaving was hard but getting to the City of Knowledge was a nice familiarity. Kaley and I closed our trip a few days early but I think we made the most of it! I am thankful I didnt have to miss out on the entire trip due to scheduling conflicts! Thank you Panama and all the people there that supported our program!

No comments:

Post a Comment