Friday, July 10, 2009

Final Days

I'd be lying if I said I'm not ready to leave. Although I'm well past the point of wanting to leave I can honsetly say this has been one of the most life enriching 3 weeks of my life. For me, being here has bought a whole new meaning to the term cultural awarness. Being aware of another culture is one thing but being able to respect a persons culture and way of life is a totally different thing. I like to consider myself a person who is aware of many walks of life. I know and associate with people from different socioeconomic status, races, cultures and backgrounds but that is all within the US. To be in Panama, a place out of my comfort zone observing and even at times living within a new culture has allowed me to gain a new found respect and understanding of other cultures.
I feel beyond blessed to have been giving this opportunity. To be welcomed and embraced someplace outside of "home" and at the same time gain knowledge and experience in a field I love so much. Today we had our final presentations in front of the University of Panama nursing students and I felt there was still so much we could learn from each other. The few facilitated conversations between us and them was like two worlds coming together as one with one common interest; nursing.
This trip has definitely opened the door for more international travels. I can't say they all will be in the interest of nursing, but there will be more. To all of you who have been here with me. We all know it has not been as easy trip. 22 women, 22 different personalities and 1 small bus does not always make the best combination but we have made it and I hope many all of you leave here with broaden perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment